Saturday 1 March 2014

Gibraltar crash back down to earth with heavy Faroe Islands loss

The reality of UEFA international football dawned on Gibraltar tonight as they crashed to a 4-1 defeat at home to the Faroe Islands despite taking the lead through captain Roy Chipolina.
The teams line up for the anthems
The Faroes got off to a strong start, which would be the case during the whole first half, and after 5 minutes 19-year old Aalborg striker Gilli Sørensen headed wide from a good position.

The visitors were enjoying most of the ball but fell behind after 21 minutes when captain Roy Chipolina, who scored against the Faroese in 2011, was left unmarked at the far post to head home Joesph Chipolina's corner.

The goal was Gibraltar's first as a UEFA member but they failed to build on their lead and only 5 minutes alter former Newcastle United striker Jóan Símun Edmundsson equalised with a splendid left-footed effort from 25-yards out.

The game completely turned in the 31st minute. Captain Fróði Benjaminsen played in Christian Holst and the Silkeborg player saw his deflected shot fly beyond Jordan Perez to give the Faroes the lead with his fourth international goal.

Gibraltar were all at sea, stark contrast to their solid performance against Slovakia in November, and Ryan Casciaro cleared an effort off the line before the visitors were given the chance to extend their lead from the penalty spot in the 40th minute.

Joeseph Chipolina fouled Edmundsson but Benjaminsen, winning his 80th cap, fired the ball over the bar. It was a let off for the non-FIFA side who were lucky to go in at half time just 2-1 down after Holst missed 2 good opportunities.

Reece Styche challenges for the ball
Allen Bula made 3 changes at the break but the Faroes Islands heaped more misery on the hosts in the 59th minute when Hallur Hansson brought the ball down inside the box and beat Roy Chipolina before finishing past Perez. 
There was a rare chance for Gibraltar in the 65th minute when Aaron Payas, winning his first cap, volleyed wide. However it got worse for the hosts in 68th minute when Holst headed home Edmundsson's clever cross to make it 4.
Substitute Jean-Paul Duarte came close with 5 minutes to go but ultimately the night was one of disappointment and learning for Gibraltar.

They will be in action again in 4 days when they host Estonia, whose manager Magnus Pehrsson was in the stand today, with another 20:00 kick off. 

Match information -

Score: Gibraltar 1-4 Faroe Islands

Goals: Gibraltar - Roy Chipolina 21'. Faroe Islands - Jóan Símun Edmundsson 26', Christian Holst 31', 68', Hallur Hansson 59'

Gibraltar XI: Perez; Sergeant [K. Casciaro 46'], J.Chipolina [Artell 86'], Higginbotham, R Chipolina; R.Casciaro; Lopez [J-P. Duart 57'], Payas, D. Duarte [Priestly 46'], Guilling [Santos 46']; Styche [Hernandez 71']. 

No comments:

Post a Comment